Reports to: Global Brand Director / GM
Team: 6x Direct Reports | Numerous Indirect / Matrix reporting lines
Location: Based in our HQ near Newcastle, UK, but flexible working can be accommodated
Founded in 1966, Berghaus is one of Europe’s original outdoor brands. Started in the attic above an outdoors shop on Newcastle’s Dean Street, Berghaus was borne of an entrepreneurial pairing of two friends who had a maverick approach to business and a desire for better outdoor equipment.
Since then, we’ve racked up over 50 years’ experience in creating beautifully designed equipment that’s built to last. We have continually set the bar for product innovation and enabled countless world-first expeditions.
Today, our mission is to rebuild & rapidly grow one of the greatest outdoor brands in the world, and we’re looking for only the very best talent to join us on our journey.
Berghaus is part of the Pentland Brands group, a family owned business that includes Speedo, Canterbury, Mitre, Endura & ellesse. We believe in doing business in an ethical way, in caring for our planet and our people, and that success is a team game.
About the role
As our Head of Brand, you will help define and lead the creation and delivery of our global brand strategy. You will become the expert on our brand and our consumers, providing the north star that leads teams from across our business to better connect with our target audience in order to convert consumers into fans, and fans into lifetime advocates.
Working in partnership with the Brand Director and the leadership team, you will set the global vision for Berghaus and enable those around you to build world class product and marketing campaigns that resonate at all stages of the consumer journey.
A natural Brand Guardian, you will create the tools and conditions for others to be able to understand and build our brand across all markets, offering counsel and governance to all our partners and teams, and never afraid to get your own sleeves rolled up when required.
Key Responsibilities & Skills
- Lead a high performing team of marketers to build the Berghaus brand across all comms channels in key markets, and to support the wider Berghaus & Pentland teams to activate our brand brilliantly across Digital, Shopper and all other touchpoints
- Define and deliver our Communications Strategy for Berghaus, considering all stages of the consumer journey to build a holistic and efficient marketing plan that punches well above its weight in ROI
- Play an active role in our Berghaus Leadership Team to co-author and co-own our long-term ambition and business strategy
- Collaborate with your peers and the wider team to build compelling brand plans that will put our product and our consumer at the heart of our marketing communications, and that will build equity in key product and brand franchises
- Own our agency relationships to ensure we’re partnering effectively to build best-in-class creative campaigns and assets, and are driving maximum efficiency through media agnostic campaign planning
- Build and own the relationships with our Athletes, Advocates & Communities, ensuring that we work with people who share our ambitions and values and who are genuine advocates of our Brand
- Work collaboratively with our Insights function to ensure we fully understand our Audience and Consumer needs, and that information cascades effectively across our teams to ensure we are all equipped to build our brand
- Our ultimate Brand Guardian, you will ensure our brand guidelines are easy to use and fully adhered to across all markets and touchpoints, and you will be accountable for ensuring our IP is fully protected at all times
What you’ll bring
- Just like our Founders, you’ll bring an entrepreneurial energy & maverick approach to business and a high level of commercial acumen and ambition
- You’ll bring enthusiasm for all things ‘outdoors’ and it’s likely you already spend a lot of you time on the hill or on a wall. Working for an outdoors brand is very likely your dream role, allowing you to combine your profession with a personal passion
- You know how brands grow, and you know how they thrive. You will have a deep & demonstrable understanding of what it takes to build a brand that truly resonates with its consumers, and will be able to coach your team into building a compelling plan for Berghaus
- You know how to lead and write robust and convincing brand strategy, and how to construct brand propositions from concept through to consumer
- You’ll know how to get the most out of high-yield media & publishing channels such as PR & Social, as well as have experience in wielding more traditional marketing platforms. You intuitively understand how to create ‘brand heat’, and how to wield cultural resonance as a brand building tool
- You’re passionate about developing talent from within and supporting your team to be at their very best
- You are brave and disruptive by nature, with a track record of breaking the paradigms of an industry
- You understand and embrace the natural balance of magic & science in marketing, and are as comfortable setting the standards for our creative aesthetic as you are in driving ROI into our media planning and proving the power of Brand Equity as a strategic enabler for commercial growth
Please forward your CV to Kev.McFadyen@pentland.com